Position: Reference Librarian.
Khawarizmi International College (KIC) is currently seeking a reference librarian for its University College in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, UAE.
Reporting to: Chief Librarian.
A qualified candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited university and a minimum of 2 years working experience in the educational industry. He / She enjoys helping people, and using computerized systems along with excellent communication, customer service and researching skills in databases and printed resources; moreover, has the ability to demonstrate English language fluency in order to connect and reach out to mass audience (Interaction in Arabic is a plus).
- Provides technical/reference support to staff.
- Performs manual and automated bibliographic searches; plans and prepares bibliographies.
- Performs routines and procedures related to manual and automated interlibrary loans and other referral services.
- Maintains familiarity with the collection, recommends materials to be added, using standard library selection tools.
- Supervises reference assistants and other personnel as assigned in the absence of the Chief Librarian.
- Assists in planning and implementing programs and public relations activities
- Explains basic library functions, services and resources to the new enrolled student’s faculty and staff.
- Operates and maintains library equipment; collects data for statistical analysis and reports; prepares reports for submission to the Chief Librarian; keeps informed of current events and of developments in the library field.
- Maintains current knowledge of library technology; takes advantage of state and regional opportunities for continuing education to keep knowledge of library practices and procedures current.
- Arrange & Maintain online and printed reference resource which directly support the academic and patterns demands.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 1-3 years working experience in the educational industry.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited universities is an advantage.
- Proven work experience in;
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory guidance to library patrons; provides guide how to use online public access catalogs (OPAC) and location desire library resource.
- Instructing patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities
- Planning and conducting research programs for students and guide to use research tools and software’s, as requested.
- Computerization of library.
- An internationally recognized professional credential or Master’s degree, with proven industrial experience in the same field is preferred;
- Communication skills (Written and Verbal).
- Interpersonal skills.
- Supervisory skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Application of library research methods and practices.
- Report writing.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Arabic is a bonus.
Job Type: Full Time Contract.
Expected Joining Date: Immediately.