The rapidly growing health care sector demands the requirement of all health care providers, which includes qualified and skilled respiratory therapists. Respiratory therapy workforce currently in the UAE are professionals from outside the UAE. Respiratory care program at KIC will graduate competent candidates ready to meet the requirements of respiratory therapists in the country and to equip them to qualify for the various credentialing examinations globally.
The BSRC program intends to prepare students to work in the clinical field as Respiratory Therapists/ Respiratory Care Practitioners, providing aids to patients who are experiencing difficulty in breathing due to respiratory and related problems, or who suffer from respiratory diseases such as asthma, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) or difficulty in maintaining airways.
The BSRC program at KIC offers students a greater ability to build their skills from basic to advanced management and leadership roles within the profession, to become advanced respiratory therapists, not only providing basic and advanced diagnostics, and rehabilitation/home care services to cardiopulmonary patients, but competent to manage and treat critically ill mechanical ventilated patients in critical care areas. In addition to performing respiratory care procedures, respiratory therapists are involved in clinical decision‐making: patient evaluation, selection of appropriate treatment, and assessment of treatment efficacy and patient education.
The BSRC program offers field experience as an integrated component of the curriculum. There are clinical practice courses in the program as part of clinical exposure in addition to internship period conducted in affiliated hospitals in the UAE. Field experience activity is an important element of clinical training to develop and gain the required respiratory care skills, reinforce knowledge of theories and learning principles through real clinical case scenarios, and clinical and professionalism exposure to the health care settings.
The program learning outcomes are designed to be consistent with the Bachelor level as defined in the UAE's Qualification Framework. Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Accurately perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, record and interpret results of chest radiographs, laboratory data, blood gas, cardiopulmonary function studies, polysomnography, and ventilator mechanics.
- Appropriately select basic and advanced respiratory care modalities to carry out the respiratory care plan.
- Perform basic therapeutic and advanced respiratory care procedures competently.
- Performing patient assessment
- Operate cardiopulmonary monitoring for adequate monitor within the boundaries of health
- Work effectively as a contributing team member respectful of cultural diversity and individual differences.
- Establish safe working practices for self and others relative to equipment and machinery, handling of product, disposal of materials and relevant legislation.
- As a KIC graduate, the students are expected to excel in the clinical areas by accumulating hands-on experience throughout the 5 years program.
- By completing the BSRC program and 16 credit hours of internship in association with our clinical partners like Cleveland clinic, New Medical Center, Danat Al Emarat, and VPS group, the student will have develop all the essential skills, required for a Clinical Specialist in Respiratory Care.
The Five-year Respiratory Care program offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Respiratory Care. Graduates are qualified to practice as a competent respiratory therapist in all of the following areas:
- Intensive care units.
- Pediatric and Neonatal respiratory care.
- Pulmonary function laboratories.
- Emergency departments
- Pulmonary rehabilitation/ home care.
- Sleep laboratories
- Asthma/COPD education.
- Academics- The students can pursue higher education in Master of Science, Doctorate studies and Post-doctoral fellowships. They are highly in demand as Faculties in various Universities, across the globe.
- Research/ Respiratory Scientists
- Clinical application specialists, in various medical equipment companies
Admissions: Required Documents
- 4 recent photos (passport photo size)
- Copy of
- Valid passport
- Valid visa (For non-Nationals)
- UAE National ID Card
- High school certificate (or equivalent)
- Valid English Test
|IELTS || 5.0|
|TOEFL ITP (Amideast) || 500|
|EmSAT || 1100|
- Transfer Students: Sealed course descriptions, attested transcripts, previous degree equivalency (If Applicable), Valid IELTS/TOEFL/EMSAT with the minimum required score BEFORE the registration in the first semester of study.
KIC is giving away up-to 40% scholarships on all new admissions for 2020. This will be valid for the academic year 2020. For more details, please contact KIC admission department or fill the form at the end of page.