Dr. Antoine G. Farhat
- Professor of Nutrition
- Health & Medical Sciences
- Abu Dhabi Campus
- Ph.D. in Nutrition, McGill University
- MSc in Nutrition, McGill University
- BSc in Biology, American University of Beirut
- Assistant professor of Nutrition, American University of Technology, 2003-2006
- Assistant Professor of Nutrition, Notre Dame University, 2006-2009
- Associate professor of Nutrition, Notre Dame University, 2010-2015
- Professor of Nutrition, Notre Dame University, 2016-2021
- Professor of Nutrition, Khawarizmi International College, 2021-Present
Refereed Journal Publications
- Mira Bou Dargham, Jocelyne Matar Boumosleh, Antoine Farhat, Salwa Abdelkhalek, Elias Bou-Maroun, Leina El Hosry (2022) Antioxidant and anti-diabetic activities in commercial and homemade pomegranate molasses in Lebanon. Food Bioscience 46: 101540
- Christelle Bou-Mitri, Alexandria Nivelle Mekanna, Sabine Dagher, Sara Moukarzel, Antoine Farhat (2022) Occurrence and exposure to glyphosate present in bread and flour products in Lebanon. Food Control 136: 108894.
- Jocelyne Bou Mosleh, Catherine El Hajj, Antoine Farhat (2021) Sports Nutrition Knowledge and Perceptions among Professional Basketball Athletes and Coaches in Lebanon-A Cross-sectional Study. BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation. 13:53.
- Mosad Zineldin, Antoine Farhat and Melita Sogomonjan (2021). Correlation between COVID-19 Pandemic, Emotion Intelligence and Depression. Acta Scientific Neurology. Vol. 4 Iss. 4, 54-58.
- Sara Moukarzel, Christoforos Mamas, Antoine Farhat, Antoine Abi Abboud & Alan J Daly (2020). A qualitative examination of barriers against effective medical education and practices related to breastfeeding promotion and support in Lebanon. Medical Education Online. Vol. 25, 1723950.
- Bou-Mitri, C., Khnaisser, L., Bou Ghanem, M., Merhi, S., El Hayek Fares, J., Doumit, J. and Farhat, A. (2020). Consumers’ exposure to claims on pre-packed bread: the case of a developing country Lebanon, Nutrition and Food Science. Vol.50 No. 6, pp. 1033-1051.
- Sara Moukarzel, Maya Abou Jaoude, Antoine Farhat, Marianne Saade, Christoforos Mamas and Alan J. Daly, 2019. Exploring the latitude of attitude: Intentions to breastfeed among adolescents in Lebanese schools. Maternal & Child Nutrition; 2019; e12888.
- Megali Mansour, Hani Tamim, Lara Nasreddine, Christelle El Khoury, Nahla Hwalla, Monique Chaaya, Antoine Farhat, Abla M Sibai, 2019. Prevalence and associations of behavioural risk factors with blood lipids profile in Lebanese adults: findings from WHO STEPwise NCD cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open. 20;9(8).
- Sara Moukarzel, Christoforos Mamas, Antoine Farhat and Alan J. Daly, 2019. Getting schooled: teachers’ views on school-based breastfeeding education in Lebanon. International Breastfeeding Journal. 14:3.
- Sara Moukarzel, Christoforos Mamas, Melissa F. Warstadt, Lars Bode, Antoine Farhat, Antoine Abi Abboud & Alan J Daly, 2018, A case study on breastfeeding education in Lebanon’s public medical school: exploring the potential role of social networks in medical education. Medical Education Online, Vol. 23 (1).
- El-Hayek Fares, J., Al-Hayek, S., Jaafar, J., Djabrayan N., and Farhat A.G., 2018, Factors affecting body composition of Lebanese university students, Nutrition and Food Science, Vol. 48 (2), pp. 228 - 244.
- Farhat, A.G., Jaalouk, D., and Francis, S., 2016, Nutrients Intake and Adherence to the Mediterranean Diet in Lebanon, Nutrition and Food Science, Vol. 46 (2), pp. 272 – 281.
- Farhat, A.G., Jaalouk, D., Moukarzel, S. and Ayoub, J., 2016, Consumption of trans fatty acid and omega 6 to omega 3 ratio in Lebanese adults, Nutrition and Food Science, Vol. 46(1), pp. 120 - 129.
- Farhat, A.G. and Hachem, C., 2015, Exercising behavior differences in users and non-users of dietary supplements by sportsmen in Lebanon, Journal of Sports and Human Performance, Vol. 3(4), pp. 1-17.
- Farhat, A.G., 2015, Nutritional Solution for Recycled Industrial Food Waste, International Journal of Arts and Science, Vol. 8(4), pp. 339–348.
- Kahale, K.H., Tranchant, C., Pakzad, S. and Farhat A.G., 2015. Effect of sumac spice, Turkish coffee and yerba mate tea on the postprandial glycemic response to Lebanese mankoucheh, Nutrition and Food Science, Vol 45 (3), pp. 433 – 447.
- Farhat, A., M. Mansour, and R. Atieh, 2011. Dietary Approaches to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Nutrition and Food Science, Vol. 41 (5), pp. 326 – 343.
- Farhat, A., and T. Fossian, 2010. Effects of cooking methods and processing stages on Vitamin C in traditional Lebanese meals. Nutrition and Food Science, Vol. 40 (5), pp. 504-514.
- Farhat, A., S. Mokarzel, R. El-Said, and C. Daher, 2010. Glycemic Index of Commonly Consumed Lebanese Mixed Meals and Desserts. Asian journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 2 (2), pp. 48-57.
- Farhat, A., 2009. Effect of Dietary Protein on Growth, Breast Muscle Thickness and Blood Parameters of Pekin Ducks Selected for leanness Using Ultrasound Scanning. Res. J. Agr. Bio. Sci., vol. 5(5), pp. 719-730.
- Farhat, A., 2009. Carcass Characteristics of Pekin Ducks Selected for Greater Breast Muscle Thickness Using Ultrasound Scanning in Response to Dietary Protein. Res. J. Agr. Bio. Sci., vol. 5(5), pp. 731-739.
- Farhat, A., 2009. Reproductive Performance of F1 Pekin Duck Breeders Selected with Ultrasound Scanning for Breast Muscle Thickness and the Effect of Selection on F2 Growth and Muscle Measurement. Research Journal of Agriculture & Biological Sciences, vol. 5(2), pp. 123-126.
- Farhat, A., M.E. Edwards, M.H. Costell, J.A. Hadley, and R. Vasilatos-Younken, 2002. A Low Residue Nutritive Supplement as an Alternative to Feed Withdrawal in Broilers: Efficacy for Gastrointestinal Tract Emptying and Maintenance of Live Weight Prior to Slaughter. Poultry Sci. 81:1406-1414.
- Farhat A., M.E. Edwards, M.H. Costell, J.A. Hadley, C.W. Maddox, and R. Vasilatos-Younken, 2002. Oral lavage with polyethylene glycol reduces microbial contamination in the gastrointestinal tract of broilers. Poultry Sci. 81:585-589.
- Farhat, A., and E.R. Chavez, 2001. Metabolic studies on lean and fat Pekin ducks selected for breast muscle thickness using ultrasound scanning. Poultry Sci.80:585-591.
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E.R. Chavez, and S.P. Touchburn, 2001. Comparison of growth performance, carcass yield and composition, and fatty acid profiles of Pekin and Muscovy ducklings fed diets based on food wastes. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 81(1):107-114.
- Farhat, A., and E.R. Chavez, 2000. Comparative performance, blood chemistry and carcass composition of two lines of Pekin ducks reared mixed or sex-segregated. Poultry Sci. 79:460-465.
- Farhat, A., and E.R. Chavez, 1999. Effects of line, dietary protein, sex, age, and fasting on insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) in White Pekin ducks. Poultry Sci. 78:1307-1312.
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E.R. Chavez, S.P. Touchburn, 1998. Nutrient digestibility in food waste ingredients for Pekin and Muscovy ducks. Poultry Sci. 77:1371-1376.
- R. Ghadieh, S. Merhi, A. Aoun, B. Galusca, A. Farhat, M. Ibrahim and J. Doumit. “Validation of the Arabic Version of Dutch Eating Behavior Questionnaire (DEBQ) and associated factors: a cross-sectional study in a sample of Lebanese adults”, Virtual Congress on Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism, Clinical Nutrition ESPEN, Vol. 40, pp. 607-608, December 01, 2020.
- Jocelyne Boumosleh, Catherine El Hage and Antoine Farhat. Sports nutrition knowledge among professional basketball athletes and coaches in Lebanon. 29th Annual Meeting on Nutrition & Food Sciences, J Nutr Food Sci., November 05-06, 2018 Bangkok, Thailand.
- Doris Jaalouk, Maya Abou Jaoude, Antoine Farhat, 2016. Dietary intake in private school children aged 7-10 years in Lebanon: Part 1- Energy and macronutrients intakes, The 22nd International Scientific Conference-The Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science (LAAS), April 14-15, 2016.
- Jaalouk D., M. Abou Jaoude, and A.G. Farhat, 2016, Breastfeeding and behavioral, cognitive, and body weight among private schoolchildren aged 7-10 years in Lebanon: a cross-sectional study, The 18th International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation Conference, Breastfeeding Medicine. March 2016, 11(2): A-35. doi:10.1089/bfm.2016.28999.
- Farhat, A.G. 2015. Biosafety & Biosecurity in relation to food in Lebanon. The Lebanese Association for Biosafety, Biosecurity and Bioethics (LABBB) First symposium on Biosafety, Biosecurity and Bioethics- May 22-24, 2015.
- Farhat, A.G. 2015. Nutritional Solution for Recycled Industrial Food Waste. Solutions for Agri-food Sustainability in the Mediterranean, 2nd United Nations Sustainable Development Solution Network Mediterranean Conference, Siena, Italy, March 5-6, 2015.
- Khalil, L and Farhat, A.G. (2014) Impact of Social Environment on Student Integration and First-Year Academic Performance: Case Study. Proceeding of The 14th Annual South East Asian Association for Institutional Research Conference. Aquinas University of Legazpi, Philippines, October 7-10, 2014, pp. 296-305.
- Farhat, A.G., 2013. The Lebanese Agency for Food Safety. 2nd International Nutrition Conference - Health and Food Security. USEK April 17-18, 2013.
- Farhat, A.G., 2013. Nutrients Intake and Adherence to the Mediterranean Diet.1st Nutrition Conference of the Lebanese University: “Mediterranean Diet: from Scientific Evidence to Health Protection”. January 31 - February 2, 2013.
- Jaalouk, D., Abou Abdo, S., Jabre, R., Khoury, S., & Farhat, A.G. (2011). Prevalence of hypertension and associated lifestyle factors among adolescent school children in Lebanon. International Conference on Research Trends in Food Safety & Security, Lebanese American University, May 3–5, 2011.
- Jaalouk, D., Dagher, S., Kabrita, S., Arrouk, V., & Farhat, A.G. (2011). Impact of a basic nutrition course on nutritional knowledge and dietary behavior of undergraduate university students. National Conference on Health in Universities, Lebanese University, March 17, 2011.
- Farhat, A., (2004) Recycling of industrial food waste into animal feed: nutritional evaluation and animal growth trials. The 14th International Conference on Environmental Protection is a Must. International Scientist Association, pp. 195-210.
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E.R. Chavez, S.P. Touchburn, and P.C. Laguë, (1998) Efficiency and carcass characteristics of Pekin and Muscovy ducklings fed diets based on non-conventional feed resources. Journées de recherche et colloque en productions animales, Conseil des Production Animales du Québec, p. 152.
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E.R. Chavez, S.P. Touchburn, and P.C. Laguë, (1997) Digestibility and energy values of conventional and food waste ingredients in Pekin and Muscovy Ducklings at different ages. Proceedings of the 47th annual meeting of the Canadian society of animal science, pp. 225-226.
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E.R. Chavez, S.P. Touchburn, and P.C. Laguë, (1996) Comparaison entre une alimentation conventionnelle et des ration basées sur des déchets de l'industrie agro-alimentaire pour la production de canard à chair. Journées de recherche et colloque en zootechnie, Conseil des Production Animales du Québec, p. 223.
- Assessment of macro and micronutrient consumption with emphasis on insoluble/soluble dietary fiber and glycemic load, ω6:ω3 fatty acid ratio, and trans fatty acids, with these nutrients’ effect on nutrition-related diseases.
- Functional food, effect of food processing on nutrients losses, and environmental nutrition including consumer health issues closely associated with the food industry
- 02 2015 180