Dr. Faruk Sarkinfada
- Associate Professor
- Health and Medical Sciences Department
- Abu Dhabi Campus
- Ph D Medical Microbiology (Laboratory Systems and Quality Management) Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, University of Liverpool, UK
- Medical Laboratory Scientist Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN)
- Professional Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science (Bacteriology) University of Calabar, Nigeria
- B Sc Microbiology Ahmadu Bello University Zaria , Nigeria
- Academic Experience: As a Professor of Medical Microbiology and Laboratory Systems specialist, I acquired over 22 years of teaching and research in Medical Microbiology, Public Health and Laboratory Sciences with vast experience in both laboratory and community-based projects on Malaria, Tuberculosis and infectious diseases. I published over 30 original articles in peer reviewed journals and presented scholarly papers at both local and International Conferences, Seminars and symposia. I facilitated the establishment of postgraduate programmes leading to M Sc and Ph D in Medical Microbiology, as well as Professional Certificate Courses on Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Control Strategies, Infectious Disease Diagnostics, Medical Mycology, Water Hygiene & Sanitation and Vector Biology & Control.
- Professional Experience: As a Laboratory Systems and Quality Assurance (QA) specialist I have a comprehensive knowledge of Nigeria’s laboratory facilities, health care system and structures in Low and Middle Income Countries and have served as a Consultant or Participant in health care and related projects finance by both local and International donor Organizations, including GFATM, UK-Aid SuNMaP, PATHS, WHO, CDC, Welcome Trust Flaming Funds, National TB Control Programme, National Malaria Control Programmes and the National Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria.
Conferences & Seminars
- Participant: Workshop on Designing & Delivering an Engaging Student-Centric Learning Experience” 3rd of May, 2018 at Khawarizmi International College Abu Dhabi. United Arab Emirates.
- Hassan-Hanga F, Kabara HS, Abdulsalam K, Sarkinfada F, Kabir H, Mohammad AM, Sarki MA, Datti ZA, Ibrahim HU, Tudun Wada RA, Gaya SA, Magaji NS, Amole T, Inuwa S, Baba-Maiyaki M, Gwarzo D, Mohammed AM, Yusuf MA, Ibrahim S, Iliyasu G. (2018) Sepsis incidence, outcome and correlates in a regional tertiary hospital, Northwestern Nigeria. College Foundation Day Conference (Best Abstract) Bayero University Kano. March 2018.
- Sarkinfada F (2017): A War Yet to be Won in Human History. TEDx Conference December 31, 2017. Baba Danbaffa Street Kano, Nigeria. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZtsY9ZOnc&feature=youtu.be
- Participant: American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Pathology Update Conference Cleveland Clinic. November 16, 2017. Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Participant: The First College of American Pathologists (CAP) Inspection Training in the Middle East. November 4, 2017. Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Sarkinfada F (2017): ‘Laboratory Tools in Critical Care: Prospects and Challenges in Low and Middle Income Countries’ The 3rd Regional African Critical Care Conference and the African Sepsis Alliance Symposium. October 17 - October 18, 2017. Grand Imperial Hotel, Kampala Uganda.
- Sarkinfada F (2017): Molecular Diagnosis of Sepsis and its Related Complications.1st International Conference of the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria, Gombe State Branch at the Gombe State University, Nigeria. 8th -12th May, 2017 Sarkinfada F (2015): Participant, 1st International Workshop on Sepsis: From Diagnosis to ICU Care. Sudan Medical Specialization Board / Adult Critical Care medical Board,. November 24, 2016. Khartoum Sudan
Books & Publications
- Gadama A., Sarkinfada F. and Mohammed Y. (2017): Cytomegalovirus Seroprevalence among Pregnant women in Jahun, Nigeria. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing Mauritius ISBN: 978-620-2-00733-7
- Sarkinfada F (2001): Microbial World: A Mysterious Journey. A public Health Enlightenment Book Informants Publishers Kaduna. .
Scopus Indexed Publications:
- Hassan S, Isyaku M, Yayo A, Sarkinfada F, Ihesiulor GU, Iliyasu G (2016): Adult Loa loa Filarial Worm in the Anterior Chamber of the Eye: A First Report from Savanna Belt of Northern Nigeria. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 10(4): e0004436. doi:10.1371/journal. pntd.0004436.
- Abubakar U. B., Muhammad H., Mahmood M. D., Zaiyad G. H., Musa M. B., Ahmad M. Y., Aisha H. S., Bashir H., Baffa A. G., Sarkinfada F., Karaye K. M. and Abdulrazaq G. H. (2015): Prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis Infection Based on Intradermal Tuberculin Test in Fulani Nomadic Cattle Herds in Rano, Kano State, Nigeria. International Journal of Tropical Medicine 10 (4-6): 17-20
- Faruk Sarkinfada, Yunusa Aliyu, Charles Chavasse, Imelda Bates (2009): Impact Of Introducing Integrated Quality Assessment For Tuberculosis And Malaria Microscopy In Kano, Nigeria. Journal of Infections in Developing Countries (JIDC). 3(1):20-27. Available at: jidc.org
- Sarkinfada F., Azeez-Akande O., Abubakar S.I., Ilyasu Z., (2009): Urinary Schistosomiasis in Danjarima community of Kano State, Nigeria. Journal of Infections in Developing Countries (JIDC) 3(6):452-457. jidc.org
- Imelda Bates, Stephen McKew, and Faruk Sarkinfada (2007): Anaemia – A Useful Indicator of Neglected Disease Burden and Control. Public Library Of Science (PLoS) Open Access Online Journal PLoS Medicine | plosmedicine.org August 2007 | Volume 4| Issue 8.
- Usman A., Sarkinfada F., Mufunda J., Nyarang’o P., Mansur K. and Dayyabu M. (2005): Recurrent Cholera Epidemics in Kano – Northern Nigeria Central African Journal of Medicine 51(3/4) 34-8.
- Antimicrobial Resistance Detection and Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory Diagnostic Tools and Quality Systems in Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC)
- Molecular Diagnostic Markers for Infectious Diseases
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
- Skype ID: faruk.sfada